Vegan Toffee Apples
• Approx 40 plump pitted medjool dates
• 60ml Biona Organic Coconut milk (plus more if needed)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• Pinch of salt
• 6 jazz or granny smith apples
For the Cocoa-Coconut Topping:
• 250g toasted peanuts chopped
• 130g toasted desiccated coconut
• 200g dark chocolate melted
• Sea salt, for sprinkling
1. In a food processor, combine the dates, coconut milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Process until completely smooth and spreadable, about 5-10 minutes, scraping down the sides a couple of times. If it’s too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk and continue processing until smooth. Add additional dates if the mixture is too runny.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and push wooden sticks into the top of the apples.
3. Prepare your topping by mixing the peanuts and dessicated coconut in a bowl, so they are ready to press onto the apples.
4. Melt the dark chocolate and set aside.
5. When the caramel is smooth and spreadable, grab one apple at a time and use a butter knife to spread the caramel all around the bottom + sides of the apple. Press the peanut coconut topping lightly all around the apple. The topping should stick right to the caramel. If your using melted chocolate drizzle the chocolate on the apple OR dip the bottom of the apple into the chocolate.
6. Place the apple on the prepared cookie sheet and then sprinkle with salt (if desired).
7. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place the apples in the fridge until the chocolate and caramel are set, 20-25 minutes.
8. Let the Bonfire celebrations commence!