Hot Cross Buns
For the Dough:
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 75g Biona Organic chocolate covered raisins
- 25g (2 tablespoons) mixed peel (optional)
- 325ml Biona Organic Kefir
- 1 dessert apple, grated
- 6 tablespoons Biona Organic agave syrup
- 350g strong white plain flour
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
For the Cross Pastry:
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 5 to 6 tablespoons water
For the Glaze:
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Biona Organic maple syrup
- Place the orange juice in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for about 3 or 4 minutes to reduce by about half. Add mixed
peel and set to one side.
- Warm the kefir for one minute on high power in the microwave. Stir in the grated apple and agave syrup.
- Add the flours, yeast, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon to a large bowl along with the kefir mixture and mix together to form a rough dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. (Alternatively you can use a stand
mixer to knead your dough.)
- Spread the dough out into a rectangle and sprinkle over the fruit mixture and chocolate raisins. Bring the dough back together and
knead until the fruit is evenly distributed.
- Place the dough in a large greased mixing bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 ½ hours until doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and divide into 16 pieces, approx. 75 to 80g each. Shape into balls and place on a
baking tray fairly close together and flatten each ball a little. Cover with a tea towel and prove for one hour in a warm
- While your Hot Cross Buns are proving, make your hot cross 'pastry.' Sift the flour into a jug, add the water and mix well until you have a smooth paste.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas Mark 6
- When your hot cross buns are ready for the oven, pipe or use a spoon to form the crosses on your buns.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush with maple syrup for a shiny glaze and leave to cool on a wire rack.