Loaded Sweet Potato Fries with BBQ Jackfruit and Red Cabbage & Apple Slaw
For the Slaw:
1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly shredded
1 tart apple, chopped into thin matchsticks
1 large carrot, grated
100ml Biona Organic Apple Cider vinegar
1 tbsp Biona Organic Agave syrup
1 tsp Biona Organic Dijon mustard
For the sweet potato’s nachos:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into fries or rounds
a few dashes of smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
For the BBQ jackfruit:
2 cans of Biona Organic jackfruit, drained and rinsed.
1 teaspoon Biona Organic olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 tablespoons Biona Organic tamari
150g Biona Organic BBQ Sauce, divided
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
1/2 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
2 spring onions chopped
Zesty Ranch Dressing
1. For the slaw, make this at least one hour before serving. Combine the cabbage, apple, and carrot in a large bowl. In a cup, mix together the vinegar, agave syrup, and Dijon mustard. Pour the liquid mixture over the slaw and toss to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to a couple days).
2. For the sweet potato fries, place one rack at the very top of the oven and one in the middle. Preheat the oven to 220 c and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Spread the fries out on the prepared sheet and toss with olive oil. Toss with paprika, salt and pepper. Place the sheet on the top rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes, tossing halfway.
5. As soon as the sweet potato fries are in the oven. Begin preparing your jackfruit. Use your hands to tear the jackfruit into shreds. In small bowl or cup, mix together a 1/2 of BBQ sauce with arrowroot powder. Set aside. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Heat the olive oil in a large shallow sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until just translucent. Add the jackfruit and liquid aminos and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. Add the other half of the BBQ sauce (without arrowroot powder) to the jackfruit and stir until combined. Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the jackfruit is beginning to stick to the pan. Add the BBQ sauce/arrowroot mixture to the jackfruit and stir until combined. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet and place on the middle rack of the oven. Let it bake until the sweet potato fries are done cooking (or at least 10 minutes).
7. Spread the sweet potato fries out on a large plate or platter. Top with the BBQ jackfruit and then avocado slices and chopped onions. Drizzle the ranch dressing over the top and finally, top with a generous pile of slaw. People can serve themselves or alternatively, you can follow the same assembly steps on individual plates for each serving. Serve and enjoy!