- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 2 star anise
- 1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
- 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 400ml vegetable stock or broth
- 400ml water
- 2 tablespoons Biona Organic Tamari Sauce
- Half a pack of Biona Organic Asian Noodles
- 1 tablespoon Biona Organic olive oil
- 200g thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Mint
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Thinly sliced fresh chilies
- Warm a medium pan over a medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, vegetable stock, water and tamari. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat a gentle simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes to give the flavors time to blend.
- Meanwhile, prepare the noodles by cooking them for ¾ mins. Set them aside.
- To prepare the shiitake mushrooms, warm the oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and a few dashes of salt. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, about 4 to 6 minutes, then set them aside.
- Once the broth is done cooking, strain out the onions, ginger and spices (this is easiest with a small metal sieve, but you can also strain the mixture through a colander into another large bowl). Season it to taste with extra tamari and/or salt until the flavors of the spices really shine.
- Ladle the broth into bowls, add the cooked noodles, mushrooms and fresh garnishes to your heart’s content and serve straight away!